1.Guaranteed income encourages people to find work as it’s beneficiaries are free to seek additional sources of income which almost everyone does.
2. It reduces bureaucracy. No need to wait for days to get your money, eligibility is far simple and the cost of giving benefits is greatly reduced.
3. It increases bargaining power for workers. As guaranteed, unconditional income gives them leverage to say No to to exploitative wages and abusive working conditions. No more bullying by employers.
4. It increases entrepreneurship. As it provides for basic needs and acts as a safety net if the business fails. It widens customer base as everyone has disposable income. It would be the greatest catalyst for new jobs, entrepreneurship and creativity.
5. It improves the mental health of recepients. Increased economic security leads to less stress, which means less diseases and self destructive behaviors.
6. It improves physical health.
7. It helps make smarter decisions. It provides needed security to focus on important things like families.
8. Guaranteed Income increases art production, non profit work and caring for loved ones as it provides supplementary income for those interested in labor that isn’t provided by the market.
9. It improves labor market efficiency
10. It improves relationships by reducing domestic violence, child abuse, financial stresses. It ensures that everyone has an optimistic sense of his or her own future and has the mobility to get out of abusive relationship.
Just as the results are remarkable in Canada, so it can be here in Nairobi, a steady source of income can transform a lot of people’s lives.
How would your life be with an extra 10000 shillings in your pocket? How would you spend it?