Traffic flow is a problem that we must now solve forever. We waste a lot of time on traffic, let along the greenhouse gases like carbon emissions that pollute our city. We are not not only getting tired but our lungs are also getting dirtier day by day.
Transportation is not a problem that I alone can fix, it’s a problem that will call on board every stakeholder from matutu owners to sacco operators to every day road users.
My goal will be to cut your commute time by half and to clean our atmosphere by 40 per cent.
As Governor, I will…
1. Restrain vehicle demand and use. I will slow the growth of carbon emissions by restraining demand for and use of conventional private vehicles. As usual it will come with a great appeal to behavioral change by our private vehicle users to restrain vehicle use to only when necessary. This will give us time to improve on rail and bus transport.
2. Develop an adequate city transport by transforming and developing existing infrastructure,establishing dedicate pedestrian pathways, develop bicycle lanes within the central business district.
3. Introduce a new rail transport system that no doubt will be costly but worth it in the long run.
4. Introduce two freeways in our major highways to ease congestion, introduce a 21st century form of transport(double cabin and double decker Buses)
5. Start a behavioral campaign to change road use by public sector vehicle drivers like lane maintenance, traffic lights Obedience and caring for other road users.
Traffic congestion is a problem that not only affects Nairobi but also mega cities across the world and implementing these policies will solve the following problems….
1. Fix the long hours we spend on traffic in the morning and evening.
2. Reduce matatu rowdiness during rush hours.
3. Lower the level of toxic gases emitted in our atmosphere.
“One way to solve the traffic problem is to keep all the cars that are not paid for off the street ”
“It’s very shaming, that Nairobi being a center stage for many African events and a shinning city in the hill can’t cut on traffic time in almost 2 decades. Kigali fixed theirs, if they can, then we can three times more. ”